Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Anybody Home?

     One learns about this practice from someone who knows about it. It has its own subculture, an underground or deep current that has flowed from ancient times. This current has to exist because of the actual condition of our consciousness. Sometimes it breaks out into the open. Happy is the culture that honors this practice.

     Somehow or other one hears about this, becomes interested, reaches the point of actually trying it, learns with more or less difficulty how to do it more or less correctly. There are results of doing this practice even approximately correctly, and these results are very positive for a person cognitively, emotionally and physically. They are also positive for others who interact with the practitioner. But one must persist. Sometimes it is quite difficult to discriminate "fools' gold" from that which is of real value. We continue to think and we continue to be captivated and fascinated by our own thinking. Our thought cannot discriminate reality from imagination because our thought is essentially imaginative.

     Our suffering is a reliable compass needle, directing our effort to that which puts our suffering into its proper place in God's creation. It is odd that the first of Buddha's Noble Truths is "life is suffering." In awareness, life is not suffering. Life is now. But life in waking sleep is suffering. Awareness of reality requires continuous effort. That effort is not suffering, and it is life, real life. As Gurdjieff said, "life is real only then, when 'I Am'." Life is effort, obviously. Our hearts work even in our sleep, even our dreams roam around restlessly. It is God's will. This practice is taking stock in creation. Instead of being only a slave for God, I work also for myself. Creation belongs to me too. In awareness I do not need to suffer. But when I have forgotten awareness, back in my default mode, I thank my suffering for reminding me that I need to wake up.

     I hope that this blog could become interactive, obviously. It is simple enough. Gurdjieff talked about creating "clubs" in which this practice is discussed. It is a culture that must grow. I have been involved with this for more than 40 years. Of course I know something about it. I know the value of it by personal experience. I want to teach it, I want to associate with people who also wish to follow this way of life. As Chaucer said of the Clerk of Oxenford, "gladly wolde he lerne, and gladly teche." It is not only a way of life, it is the way of life. We are alive, in life and of life. We need to be aware of reality and live accordingly. We can talk about this practice, compare notes. "It is no secret, what God can do."

     I know nothing of this Internet stuff. At the present time, I can't even find this blog myself by searching for it by name or address. Probably I will figure that all out in time. Gradually I will direct people who might be interested to it. I had imagined that anyone who wished could simply post comments, to which I could then respond. It is not so easy as I would like. One friend alerted me that to post a comment, one has to disclose not only one's E-mail address but also one's password. It is very intrusive in my opinion. My E-mail address is kerrymillay@Yahoo.com. I suggest that if you have any comment you E-mail me, and I will respond both privately and in the blog. Of course one has questions if one is paying any attention to this at all, both theoretical and practical questions. "We can talk about it now." Criticisms are welcome, so long as they don't constitute assault.

No comments:

Post a Comment